Xtreme Madden League

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Shadez
Nytitan21
Danny Ocean
echodyneharmonic
lilgame06
neo613
Zsirvone28
BigJohnMic
YoungC-JR
TheDarkKnight50
14 posters

Free agency

Poll

How should we roll with free agency?

[ 13 ]
    Free agency I_vote_lcap59%Free agency I_vote_rcap [59%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Free agency I_vote_lcap0%Free agency I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Free agency I_vote_lcap41%Free agency I_vote_rcap [41%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Free agency I_vote_lcap0%Free agency I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 22
    TheDarkKnight50
    TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

Free agency Empty Free agency

Post by TheDarkKnight50 September 9th 2012, 1:55 pm

Option A: We have a 32 team draft. This would cover 32 free agents. Afterwards we could have either a second round or allow each team to sign 1 player every 12/24 hours or something.

Option B: We have a thread designated like in past seasons where you post 1 player per 12/24 hours each team. First come/post first serve here but thins out pretty quick.

Option C: We have a thread opened up for each player in free agency, with which you can post your bid for. Each thread will last a certain amount of time. At the end of that time, the player who offers the most money will win the FA. (Example: QB Garrard in FA the Dolphins start a thread saying they'll sign him for whatever minimum he wants in game. Then the Jets offer more than that by posting in the thread. No one responds, he wins the player after so long.)

OTHER
    YoungC-JR
    YoungC-JR

Free agency Empty Re: Free agency

Post by YoungC-JR September 9th 2012, 2:58 pm

How can option A work with salary cap on, maybe teams dont have space to sign players because of their market value. I thought thats was the purpose of free agency biding.
    TheDarkKnight50
    TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

Post by TheDarkKnight50 September 9th 2012, 3:43 pm

YoungC-JR wrote:How can option A work with salary cap on, maybe teams dont have space to sign players because of their market value. I thought thats was the purpose of free agency biding.
    I am referring to the free agents to open up the league and during season. The most you can sign a guy is like a 1 year deal 1.5 mil or something. If a team chooses a guy that puts them over the cap they can either cut someone or they don't sign the guy they pick. But contracts aren't bad out of FA. I'm not talking offseason.
    YoungC-JR
    YoungC-JR

Post by YoungC-JR September 9th 2012, 4:12 pm

O..Ok i didn't read that or it wasn't clear about the opening season only Surprised , thanks for clearing that up. Im cool with any direction tho.
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic September 9th 2012, 6:57 pm

Running with "C" on this one.
    Zsirvone28

Post by Zsirvone28 September 9th 2012, 10:28 pm

BigJohnMic wrote:Running with "C" on this one.
    neo613
    neo613

Post by neo613 September 9th 2012, 10:40 pm

I vote A
    I like the idea of giving guys the opportunity to bid on free agents but it sounds like it could take forever and leave guys with busier schedules at a disadvantage depending on how long each bid lasts. If a bid is won after lets say 2 hours guys that are at work or school wont have the opportunity to check in every 2 hours to see if their bid has been topped. Now if its like 12 hours I can see there being a week long bidding war for the top free agents.
    TheDarkKnight50
    TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

Post by TheDarkKnight50 September 9th 2012, 10:43 pm

neo613 wrote:I vote A
    I like the idea of giving guys the opportunity to bid on free agents but it sounds like it could take forever and leave guys with busier schedules at a disadvantage depending on how long each bid lasts. If a bid is won after lets say 2 hours guys that are at work or school wont have the opportunity to check in every 2 hours to see if their bid has been topped. Now if its like 12 hours I can see there being a week long bidding war for the top free agents.
    Well what you would do is someone would start a thread for a player in Option C like this...

Post Title: HB Ryan Grant

From the time they post that link to start negotiations it would be like 12 or 24 hours from that time that the final offer would win. So if I post it at noon today, at noon tomorrow or at midnight it will be final that whoever had the last offer in gets the prize.
    TheDarkKnight50
    TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

Post by TheDarkKnight50 September 9th 2012, 10:46 pm

TheDarkKnight50 wrote:
    neo613 wrote:I vote A
    Well what you would do is someone would start a thread for a player in Option C like this...

Post Title: HB Ryan Grant

From the time they post that link to start negotiations it would be like 12 or 24 hours from that time that the final offer would win. So if I post it at noon today, at noon tomorrow or at midnight it will be final that whoever had the last offer in gets the prize.
    I also want to add that to ensure that no last minute bidding from out of nowhere occurs we could include a rule that you must have bid on the player in the first 12-18 hours if it's a 24 hour period to make a bid at closing.

For example... the Buccaneers and Saints both bid on WR Terrell Owens in a 24 hour period. After 19 hours no one else has bid on him, so it's down to those two teams to bid until the 24 hour mark.
    lilgame06
    lilgame06

Post by lilgame06 September 10th 2012, 4:19 am

I voted A...seems like the option that'll give us the least hassle for the most part.
    echodyneharmonic

Post by echodyneharmonic September 10th 2012, 9:22 am

Option A is my vote. Clean and to the point, the other two have a little "Dirty" in them that could hold things up longer than we'd hope.
    Danny Ocean

Post by Danny Ocean September 10th 2012, 11:35 am

My vote is for A. While C is logical and in a way more along the lines of a real franchise, we all know how this will probably end. A eliminates that possibility.
    Nytitan21
    Nytitan21

Post by Nytitan21 September 10th 2012, 11:55 am

A!
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic September 10th 2012, 12:41 pm

My only issue with A Is that at this point in the Madden series, we're finally to a point where the online franchise (CC), is as strong as it has ever been, and Having a draft for free agents takes away from the actual advances the game mode has made.

With option A, It limits teams from having the chance to fill a hole with a legitimate game changer. In a free agent draft, I may have to watch a player I really think could help my team, be drafted to another team w/o me even having a chance to "discuss a contract with a free agent". In previous years, I know The free agent draft was a good/the only option we had. Now, to use a free agent draft would b more frustrating bc of the fact I'd b sour over not even having the chance at a player.

Just my humble opinion.
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic September 10th 2012, 12:48 pm

However, I completely understand (and to a degree agree with) the arguments for option A in regards to it being "clean", and taking much less time. Just feel like it holds us back from a legit and fair way to conduct free agency.

Also, what happens if someone drafts a free agent, but can't afford to meet the player's contractual demands (from a $$$ perspective) and then can't sign the player bc of lack of cap room or something of that nature?
    Shadez
    Shadez

Post by Shadez September 10th 2012, 12:48 pm

I voted A.
    SiientRiot
    SiientRiot

Post by SiientRiot September 10th 2012, 2:19 pm

BigJohnMic wrote:However, I completely understand (and to a degree agree with) the arguments for option A in regards to it being "clean", and taking much less time. Just feel like it holds us back from a legit and fair way to conduct free agency.

Also, what happens if someone drafts a free agent, but can't afford to meet the player's contractual demands (from a $$$ perspective) and then can't sign the player bc of lack of cap room or something of that nature?

I mean in order to draft a player you have to have the cap room for him, and if you dont then, you just dont get that player, simple as that is how I see it.

You still have to pay the man in order for him to be on the team, and if you cant afford him then he is simply passed on and that pick is voided until you find someone you can afford. Thats how I see it atleast.
    Betta_thanu
    Betta_thanu

Post by Betta_thanu September 10th 2012, 11:25 pm

vote for Obama,,,oh wait, wrong forum, go A
    lilgame06
    lilgame06

Post by lilgame06 September 11th 2012, 4:16 am

Well, I would have to believe that if we did do option A, this would be a one time thing. This would just be to open the first week of preseason, since there is gonna be a pool of free agents that include people who were cut during the preseason roster cuts (in the real NFL), and overrated old guys who dont have jobs in real life (such as andre carter, albert haynesworth, EJ henderson, etc.). Once we get past this phase, I'd have to believe that free agency would just be wide open through the rest of the season, and then beyond, we go into the free agency bidding system that has been added for off-seasons.

Does that make sense? or am i wording this wrong?
    BSanders2009

Post by BSanders2009 September 11th 2012, 9:28 am

I voted for C but I would suggest that we make it where a bid is final if no one has bid on a player for, say, 8-12 hours. The reason I say that is most people will just wait til the bidding ends before placing their bids and if you're not available at that time, you're SOL. But if you give that window after the last bid, there's no advantage of waiting til the last second to bid and everyone has an opportunity to bid if they wish.

TheDarkKnight50
    TheDarkKnight50
    Admin

Post by TheDarkKnight50 September 11th 2012, 11:23 am

lilgame06 wrote:Well, I would have to believe that if we did do option A, this would be a one time thing. This would just be to open the first week of preseason, since there is gonna be a pool of free agents that include people who were cut during the preseason roster cuts (in the real NFL), and overrated old guys who dont have jobs in real life (such as andre carter, albert haynesworth, EJ henderson, etc.). Once we get past this phase, I'd have to believe that free agency would just be wide open through the rest of the season, and then beyond, we go into the free agency bidding system that has been added for off-seasons.

Does that make sense? or am i wording this wrong?
    Your right. When the next offseason comes there will be in game free agency. And for in season pick ups we can do the post and sign method that is being mentioned. And yeah BSanders thats what i referred to.
    biggame3527

Post by biggame3527 September 11th 2012, 5:14 pm

I like option A.
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic September 11th 2012, 5:24 pm

Dang, guess my reply was glossed over. So much for a retort.
    lilgame06
    lilgame06

Post by lilgame06 September 11th 2012, 6:17 pm

Jmic...my reply was geared towards what you were saying. You were making it sound like we would be doing the free agent draft at the beginning of every new season, but that wouldnt be the case given that there is this new free agency system for off-seasons. The issue is, that once we start the league from preseason week 1 of 2012...there will be no free agency system. It'll be a first come first serve thing, and there are gonna be too many good players available (like i mentioned in my previous post, guys like andre carter, albert haynesworth, ej henderson, etc.) for us to have a first come first serve thing going at that time of the league. I would think a guy like yourself would have the biggest issue with that, given that you are a working man with a young child. a scheduled draft would give everyone a chance to be there at the same time, rather than, somebody like bik, who has tons of spare time, being there at the start of the league and scooping up all of the best free agents before others even know that the league is up and running.

Regardless, there has to be some sort of order put in place for this first week or so of the league to prevent that kind of thing from happening. But beyond that first week or so, then yea, I would have to believe that we would then go to having free agency being open for the remainder of the pre-season and regular season...and then in the off-seasons, using the free agency bidding systems.

As far as money goes...I believe the guys that are in free agency can only be signed to one year deals that max out at like 1.5 million dollars. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. So for the most part, there wouldn't really be any kind of "negotiating." From my experience in offline CCM, I signed a couple of free agents in the preseason, and all it said was "do you want to sign this player to a 1yr/700k deal?" and the only option was yes or no...there was no option that i knew of to sign them to a longer deal. There may be that option once they are on your team in the regular season...but there wasnt that option at the time of signing of the free agent during the preseason.
    BigJohnMic
    BigJohnMic

Post by BigJohnMic September 11th 2012, 9:17 pm

lilgame06 wrote:Jmic...my reply was geared towards what you were saying. You were making it sound like we would be doing the free agent draft at the beginning of every new season, but that wouldnt be the case given that there is this new free agency system for off-seasons.

See, that's what I was missing. I clearly didn't read your original post correctly. Doing the draft at first (and only then) makes all the sense in the world. My bad, D. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is April 19th 2024, 3:47 am